The best known Italian sauce
Carbonara, so many way to do it, but fi you ask someone from Rome there is only one way to do it.
As per its origins, we might need to thank the Americans for introducing us to the bacon, but we mist definitely need to thank the Roman for changing it with our most delicious Guanciale.
The Carbonara is a very simple dish, but with a very specific technique. In order to make the best Carbonara, the ingredients must be fresh and the best that you can find.
Guanciale: this is a kind of bacon, most specifically it is pork cheek fat. In case you cannot find it, we recommend using bacon, both smoked and sweet.
Eggs: if you can manage to get fresh eggs, please do! The fresher the better! Normal ratio should be 1 full egg and 1 yolk per person.
Pecorino Romano: you will find this cheese in every single recipe from Rome. For them, there is no other cheese for cooking.
And of course, the Spaghetti! But you can also use the Rigatoni.
Also, a small reminder...never put cream in the Carbonara! Some Italians might be offended, other will never speak to you again!
Now lets start cooking!
Ready in 20 minutes
Serves 2 people
- 160g of Spaghetti or Rigatoni
- 2 eggs
- 2 yolks
- Grated Pecorino Romano
- Pepper (if you would like)
- Boil the water for the pasta with some salt (we use Himalayan Pink Salt)
- Cut the guanciale in small strips
- Place a pan on the stove (better if it is a wok) and warm it up
- Once warm place the guanciale and make it crunchy
- Turn off the heat and remove the guanciale from the pan to not overcook it
- Once the water is boiling, put the pasta of choice in and cook it for the time indicated on the packages minus a minute or two
- While the pasta is cooking, mix the eggs and the yolks together with the cheese (you should have a very dense cream, the more the cheese the better it is)
- Once the pasta is "cooked" place it in the pan you used for the guanciale, pour over some pasta water and let it finish to cook in the pan at medium-high heat
- When you feel that the pasta is almost cooked, put the guanciale and the eggs in the pan and turn off the heat and mix it well together
- Serve it with a bit of pepper and more cheese on top
You can also use 3 eggs instead of 2 eggs and 2 yolks